Lucía earned her LL.M. from the University of Michigan, United States, and her LL.B. from the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (PUCP). Lucía’s experience spans Competition Law and Policies, Regulation of Network Industries (energy, telecommunications and transportation infrastructure), as well as Concessions Law and Administrative Law. She is fluent in English.
Partner of Bullard Falla Ezcurra+ since 2021. Prior to that, Lucía served as an attorney specializing in Regulation and Competition at the World Bank Group in Washington, D.C., as a senior associate in the Energy and Network Industries practice area at Santivañez Abogados, and as a legal analyst in the area of competition policies and dispute resolution between companies of the Supervisory Agency for Private Investment in Telecommunications (OSIPTEL).
Lucía was a professor of the Public Utility Regulation course at the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos. She also taught in the Master of Economic Administrative Law program at the Universidad del Pacífico. She was also a teaching assistant of the Competition Law course at the PUCP and Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas.
She has given training courses on Regulatory and Competition Law to government authorities in Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Kenya and Zambia. Lucía has also taught university extension courses organized by OSIPTEL and the Supervisory Agency for Investment in Energy and Mining (OSINERGMIN).
Ranked as an “Associate to Watch” by Chambers & Partners in its Energy category in 2012 and 2013. Lucía received the World Bank’s Award of Excellence for the implementation of the national reform program to remove regulatory barriers to competition in Mexico. She was also awarded an LL.M. scholarship from the University of Michigan.
- Villarán, Lucía, Falla, Alejandro and Quintana, Eduardo, “Cartels Law and Practice in Peru,” Chambers & Partners, 2020 and 2021.
- Villarán, Lucía, Falla, Alejandro, Quintana, Eduardo and Cadenas, Andrea, “Merger Control Law and Practice in Peru,” Chambers & Partners, 2020 and 2021.
- Villarán, Lucía, Martinez, Martha and Goodwin, Tanja, “Trends and Developments in Competition Advocacy in Latin America,” Competition Law and Policy in Latin America: Recent Developments, Wolters Kuwler, 2017.
- Villarán, Lucía and Quintana, Eduardo, “Entry Regulation: The Peruvian Experience on Prohibitions and Restrictions to Market Access,” Ius et Veritas, no. 53, 2016.
- Villarán, Lucía and Quintana, Eduardo, “Procedure for Renewing Telecommunications Concessions from the Perspective of the Balance between Persuasion and Punishment,” Revista de Derecho Administrativo, no. 10, 2011.
- “On the Prohibition of Abuse of a Dominant Position without the Need to Prove a Relationship of Competition,” Revista Derecho & Sociedad, no. 31, 2008.