Lawyer. Master’s degree in law, Yale University, United States. Graduated from the Law School of Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
Practice Areas: Competition law, economic regulation, consumer protection, property, torts, contracts, international trade and arbitration.
Professor of various subjects related to economic law in master’s programs at national and international universities.
Author of various books and articles specializing in economic law. He has obtained numerous national and international recognition.
Participant in the review of the Peruvian Arbitration Law and has presided over the Tribunal of the National Institute for the Defense of Competition and Protection of Intellectual Property (INDECOPI, in Spanish), among other leadership positions.
Current president of the board of directors of the Latin American and Iberian Law and Economics Association (ALACDE, in Spanish).
Professor of Competition Law, Civil Law, Economic Analysis of Law, and Arbitration at Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú and Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas.
Taught Economic Analysis of Law in the master’s degree program in business law and the master’s degree program in regulation at Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas.
Visiting professor at the Economics and Business School (ESEN, in Spanish) in El Salvador.
Visiting professor of Competition Law in the master’s degree program in business law at Universidad Torcuato di Tella, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Chairman and member of the ALACDE board of directors.
Arbitrator in more than 200 arbitration cases, including cases administered by the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce of Paris ICC; the Arbitration Centre of the Lima Chamber of Commerce; the Conciliation Center of the Bar Association of Lima; and ad hoc arbitration cases.
President of the Technical Commission of the Ministry of Justice to review the General Arbitration Law No. 26572, which resulted in the publication of the new Peruvian Arbitration Law, Legislative Decree No. 1071.
Previous Professional Experience
President of the Tribunal of INDECOPI.
Member of the Defense of Competition Chamber of the Tribunal of INDECOPI.
• “Star Individual” rating in Regulatory and Competition, Transportation Regulation, Telecommunications Regulation, Energy Regulation and Dispute Resolution (Arbitration) in the legal services market ranking in Latin America, prepared by Chambers & Partners (2008 – 2012).
• 2009 Award in the Legal Field, conferred by the Manuel J. Bustamante de la Fuente Foundation during the 2009 Legal Contest, for outstanding professional career during the preceding two years.
• Andrés Roemer/Microsoft Award for contribution to the Development of the Economic Analysis of Law in Latin America (2008).
• Listed as “Leader” in Dispute Resolution in “Which Lawyer?,” a publication issued by Practical Law Company (2007– 2011).
• Listed as “Highly Recommended” in Competition/Anti-trust in “Which Lawyer?,” a publication issued by Practical Law Company (2007– 2011).
• Listed as “Highly Recommended” in Restructuring and Insolvency in “Which Lawyer?,” a publication issued by Practical Law Company (2007– 2010).
• Listed as lawyer specializing in competition in “The International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers and Economists” directory, “Global Competition Review” magazine (2006 – 2011).
• Listed among the 34 most-renowned arbitrators in Latin America in the “Latin Lawyer” international magazine (2006).
• Listed first among the ten most in demand arbitrators, “Semana Económica” (Dec. 5, 2004).
• Author of “Derecho & Economía. Análisis Económico de las Instituciones Legales” (2003)
• Author of “La Relación Jurídico Patrimonial” (1990)
Author of several articles on topics related to his expertise.